2016 BMW 4 Series vs 2016 Cadillac ATS Coupe
BMW Press Release Highlights
The defining ingredients in the involving driving experience laid on by the new BMW 4 Series Coupe are its impressive driving dynamics and assured handling properties. The BMW engineers have succeeded in making key improvements in areas such as steering accuracy, precision and agility, as well as honing, further still, the instincts of the new BMW 4 Series Coupe as an unadulterated driving machine. Sophisticated chassis technology, torque steer-free Electric Power Steering, 50:50 weight distribution, a programme of fine-tuning in the wind tunnel and an innovative lightweight construction concept gave them the tools to achieve their aims.
One six-cylinder and two four-cylinder engines available from launch. The sporting two-door model will be available from launch powered by the following engines: the six-cylinder in-line petrol engine in the BMW 435i Coupe, the four-cylinder petrol unit for the BMW 428i Coupe and the four-cylinder diesel for the BMW 420d Coupe. All the engines work using the latest BMW TwinPower Turbo technology and cover an output spectrum stretching from 135 kW/184 hp to 225 kW/306 hp. These state-of-the-art engines not only imbue the BMW 4 Series Coupe with outstanding acceleration and elasticity, they also join forces with the car’s intelligent lightweight construction concept to deliver further improvements in driving dynamics and lower fuel consumption.
The power from the engines is sent to the rear wheels via a six-speed manual gearbox as standard. BMW will also fit all the engine variants – as an option – with an eight-speed Sports automatic gearbox, which allows the driver to change gear manually as well using shift paddles on the steering wheel. The two petrol-engine model variants can be specified from launch, as an option, with the BMW xDrive intelligent all-wheel-drive system.
The new BMW 4 Series Coupe deploys a unique combination of driver assistance systems and mobility services (available as standard or as an option under the BMW ConnectedDrive banner) to set the benchmark in terms of safety, comfort and infotainment. Among the highlights are a new generation of the Navigation System Professional, which offers extra capability, sharper graphics and 3D elements for the map display, the full-colour BMW Head-Up Display, Driving Assistant Plus, which warns the driver of a potential collision with a pedestrian, the intelligent, glare-free LED High Beam Assistant, Active Protection with Attentiveness Assistant and the latest development stage of the Active Cruise Control with Stop & Go function. As far as infotainment is concerned, extremely efficient interface technology enables the integration of smartphones and numerous Bluetooth office functions. The latter now also offer the driver the services of a dictation function with full speech recognition.
Cadillac Press Release Highlights
Powertrain• Standard 2.0L turbocharged four-cylinder - 272 horsepower (203 kW) and 295 lb-ft of torque (400 Nm)
• Available 3.6L V-6 - 321 horsepower (239 kW) and 275 lb-ft of torque (373 Nm)
• At 136hp/L, the 2.0L Turbo is one of the most power-dense engines in the industry - delivers 90 percent of its peak torque from 2100 rpm to 5400 rpm and the full 295 lb-ft of peak torque (400 Nm) from 3000 to 4600 rpm
• Both engines feature direct injection and dual overhead camshafts with continuously variable valve timing
• Hydra-Matic 6L45 six-speed automatic transmission with tap-shift control.
• A six-speed manual is also available with the 2.0L Turbo.
• This gives the standard ATS Coupe an advantage in power and weight over similarly equipped Coupes such as the BMW 428i.
• Estimated 0-60 time of 5.6 seconds.
• Available all-wheel drive.
Chassis• Nearly perfect 50/50 weight balance and low center of gravity
• Five-link independent rear suspension featuring lightweight, high-strength steel and efficient straight link designs
• A multi-link double-pivot MacPherson-strut front suspension with direct-acting stabilizer bar
• Premium, belt-driven electric variable-effort steering gear from ZF Steering Systems
• Brembo front brakes
• Eighteen-inch aluminum wheels
• A driver-adjustable FE3 sport suspension is available and includes Magnetic Ride Control, a mechanical limited-slip differential, high-capacity engine cooling system and 18-inch summer-performance tires.
• Magnetic Ride Control is a real-time damping system that delivers more precise body motion control.
• Four-wheel disc brakes with four-channel ABS, patented rotor coating protection and auto-dry functionality.
Technology• OnStar 4G LTE connectivity with built-in Wi-Fi hotspot
• Bluetooth phone and audio connectivity with natural voice recognition
• Text-to-voice that converts incoming text messages to speech and reads them over the audio system speakers
• USB, auxiliary and SD memory card ports
• SiriusXM Satellite Radio with three-month trial subscription
• Reconfigurable 5.7-inch, three-window instrument panel cluster display
• Full-color reconfigurable head-up display.
• A Bose ® premium audio system with Active Noise Cancelation technology is standard on all models.
• 12-speaker surround sound upgrade is available on Standard and Luxury, and it is included with Performance and Premium collections - includes Bose Audio Pilot, which continuously monitors ambient sounds and adjusts the music volume
• Additionally, a navigation system is available on Luxury and Performance collections, and it is standard with the Premium Collection.
• Cadillac CUE available on base models and standard on Luxury, Performance and Premium collections – includes Text-to-Voice feature for smartphone users with Bluetooth profile (M.A.P.) and Siri Eyes Free for iPhone iOS 6 and iOS 7 users.
• Eight-inch LCD multi-touch sensitive screen - motorized, fully capacitive faceplate at the bottom concealing a 1.8L storage area.
• OnStar 4G LTE connectivity - new built-in Wi-Fi hotspot that can connect up to seven devices at once.
• Capability to remotely start the engine or lower the windows with the key fob or the owner's smartphone.
• EZ Key passive entry and push-button starting is standard.
Safety• Available advanced safety - two cameras, eight ultrasonic sensors and six radar signals to help prevent crashes.
• Automatic braking - can pre-fill and automatically apply braking in response to potential hazards.
• Front and Rear Automatic Braking - relies on radar, camera and ultrasonic technology to help the driver prevent front and rear low-speed collisions via a progression of alerts that extend to complete braking, if necessary.
• Many of the advanced safety features are bundled in the Driver Awareness and Driver Assist Packages. It includes: Safety Alert Seat; Forward Collision Alert; Lane Departure Warning and Lane Keep Assist; Intellibeam® high-beam control; Front and rear park assist; Rear-vision camera with dynamic guidelines.
• The Driver Assist package is available on Performance and Premium collections and includes all of the Driver Awareness package content, plus: Full-Speed Range Adaptive Cruise Control; Automatic Collision Preparation; Motorized safety belts; Electronic Park Brake; Front and Rear Automatic Braking; Enhanced Side Blind Zone Alert; Rear Cross-Traffic Alert; Full-color head-up display.
• Eight standard air bags, safety belt pretensioners and load limiters
• StabiliTrak electronic stability control system with full-function traction control