2017 Nissan Sentra vs 2017 Chevrolet Cruze
Nissan Press Release Highlights
Key features of the Sentra exterior include a new front fascia, grille, fenders, hood and signature boomerang-shaped headlights. New LED low-beam headlights with LED signature accents are offered on Sentra SR and Sentra SL grades. In the rear, a new fascia with redesigned boomerang-shaped taillights adds a more premium appearance. As in previous years, Sentra's exterior design is elegant, modern and refined, reflecting a "professional" character targeted at upwardly bound buyers who aspire to drive something more upscale than other designs in the segment. Exterior features include chrome door handles and chrome window accents and available heated outside mirrors with integrated turn signals. The new Nissan Sentra SR Turbo is expected to help keep the sales momentum going by expanding its market reach. In addition to the new SR Turbo (6MT and Xtronic), the 2017 Nissan Sentra is offered in four other grade levels: Sentra S, SV, SR and SL (Xtronic).
PowertrainAt the heart of the SR Turbo is its new 1.6-liter Direct Injection Gasoline (DIGTM) turbocharged engine that delivers a 50 percent horsepower increase from the normally aspirated 1.8-liter Sentra SR powerplant. Rated at 188 horsepower and 177 lb-ft of torque, the new SR Turbo engine offers 64 more horsepower and 52 more lb-ft of torque than non-turbo 2017 Sentra grades.
All 2016 Sentra models utilize a fuel-efficient 1.8-liter 4-cylinder engine mated to an advanced Xtronic transmission with sub-planetary gear. A 6-speed manual transmission is also available with the Sentra S grade. The advanced 1.8-liter DOHC 4-cyinder engine offers a longer stroke than typical engines in its class, resulting in improved combustion speed and efficiency. The engine is equipped with a twin Continuously Variable Timing Control (CVTC) system which modulates both the intake and exhaust valve opening time. The engine is rated at 130 horsepower and 128 lb-ft of torque.
The Xtronic transmission offers a wide gear ratio range of 7.3:1 through use of a sub-planetary gear and smaller pulleys, resulting in high-speed fuel efficiency and responsive acceleration. The Xtronic's acceleration feel is enhanced with a D-mode step shift program that simulates shifts, giving a more natural acceleration feeling without holding a high rpm constant, letting rpms build as speed builds. For 2016, the D-Step Logic Control has been revised to help provide enhanced drivability with a more stable, natural and crisper shift feel (versus the previous design).
To help handle the increased power and torque, the new Sentra SR Turbo also receives an enhanced body structure, revised steering system, larger front disc brakes, new 6-speed manual or Xtronic transmission with manual mode and unique suspension tuning.
ChassisThe 2016 Sentra also delivers enhanced performance and handling through a retuned suspension design featuring a 10 percent increase in spring and damper rates (from the prior model year), as well as enhanced body stiffness for improved roll and body control through adoption of a new front tunnel stay similar to that used on the JUKE NISMO RS. The Sentra suspension features an independent strut front layout with stabilizer bar, torsion beam rear axle with integrated stabilizer bar.
Steering feel and response has also been improved through use of optimized Electric Power Steering (EPS) mapping in conjunction with the revised suspension and new tire design. A power-assisted vented front disc/rear drum braking system (4-wheel disc brakes are available) is standard along with retuned vehicle-speed-sensitive electric power steering.
TechnologyThe 2017 Sentra SR Turbo includes a standard power sliding glass moonroof and SR Turbo badging. The SR Turbo Premium Package, the only option package available with the SR Turbo, includes Blind Spot Warning (BSW), Rear Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA), leather-appointed seating and Bose® Premium audio system with eight speakers.
The standard Sentra audio system is an AM/FM/CD system with four speakers and USB connection for iPod® and other compatible devices. Other available audio systems include a 6-speaker AM/FM/CD system with 5.0-inch color display. Also available is SiriusXM® Satellite Radio (SiriusXM® subscription required, sold separately), while Bluetooth® Hands-free Phone System is standard on all grades. The Sentra offers advanced technology features that help owners stay connected - including NissanConnect with Mobile Apps, which is standard on SV and SR grades and includes iHeartRadio, Pandora® and Facebook.
SafetyA number of Nissan's advanced Safety Shield Technologies are now available on Sentra for the first time for the 2016 model year - Forward Emergency Braking (FEB), Intelligent Cruise Control (ICC), Blind Spot Warning (BSW) and Rear Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA). Intelligent Cruise Control (ICC) and Forward Emergency Braking (FEB) are combined as part of the new Technology Package offered for Sentra SR and SL grades. Blind Spot Warning (BSW) and Rear Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA) are included in the Navigation Package (SV and SR grades) and are standard on Sentra SL.
In addition, Sentra's list of standard safety and security features include the Nissan Advanced Air Bag System (AABS) with dual-stage supplemental front air bags with seat belt and occupant classification sensors; front seat-mounted side impact supplemental air bags; roof-mounted curtain side impact supplemental air bags with rollover sensor for front and rear-seat outboard occupant head protection; 3-point front and rear seatbelts, front seat belts with pre-tensioners and load limiters and adjustable upper anchors; and LATCH System (Lower Anchors and Tethers for CHildren).
Chevrolet Press Release Highlights
Powertrain• All-new, standard 1.4L turbocharged engine - 153 horsepower (113 kW) and 177 lb-ft of torque (240 Nm)
• Standard six-speed manual or a six-speed automatic transmission.
• GM-estimated 40 mpg on the highway with automatic transmission.
• Stop/start technology - automatically shuts down the engine when the car comes to a stop under certain driving conditions, such as a stoplight. The engine automatically restarts when the driver takes his or her foot off the brake.
• Expected 0-60 mph: 8 seconds
• Maximum highway range of 530 miles per tank
• In 2017, a new diesel model will be introduced
Chassis• 0.29 coefficient of drag
• 2.7 inches (68 mm) longer and nearly an inch (25 mm) shorter in height than the current model
• All-new, stronger and lighter body structure - approximately 250-pound (113 kg) lower curb weight than the current model
• MacPherson strut front suspension design with specially tuned bushings and geometry
• Torsion beam rear axle on L, LS and LT models
• Enhanced Z-link design on Premier
• Rack-mounted electric power steering is standard on all models
• Four-wheel disc brakes with Duralife longer-life rotors are standard on all models
• StabiliTrak electronic stability control, with traction control, rollover mitigation and anti-lock brakes, is standard
• Wheel sizes ranging from 15 to 18 inches.
• Class-leading 106.3-inch (2,700 mm) wheelbase enhances roominess, contributing to greater rear-seat legroom and more rear knee room
Technology• Chevrolet MyLink with smartphone integration capability - provides simple and intuitive use of smartphones in the vehicle. It integrates certain phone functions onto the Cruze's seven-inch-diagonal color touchscreen, allowing them to call up music, navigation apps and more. An uplevel MyLink radio with an eight-inch display and navigation is available and also incorporates Apple CarPlay.
• Standard seven-inch-diagonal screen and available eight-inch-diagonal screen
• Eight-inch screen only with Apple CarPlay, Android Auto coming later
• Rearview camera
• Available features - wireless phone charging, heated rear leather seats and heated, leather-wrapped steering wheel
• 4.2-inch-diagonal high-resolution driver information center in the gauge cluster
• Premium features including heated front cloth seats, heated rear leather-trimmed seats, and heated and leather-wrapped steering wheel.
• Android Auto is built around Google Maps, Google Now and the ability to talk to Google, as well as a growing audio and messaging app ecosystem that includes WhatsApp, Skype, Google Play Music, Spotify and podcast players.
• Available OnStar with 4G LTE and built-in Wi-Fi hotspot
Safety• New, stronger body structure - incorporates high-strength steel
• 10 standard air bags, including frontal driver and passenger air bags, roof rail-mounted head curtain side air bags that help protect the front and outboard rear seating positions; seat-mounted side-impact air bags (front and rear); and front knee air bags
• Available safety features include an expanded range of crash-avoidance technologies, including Side Blind Zone Alert, Rear Cross-Traffic Alert, Lane Keep Assist and Forward Collision Alert.
• Front passenger seat occupant sensing system and rollover sensing and protection system
• Collapsible pedal assembly to help protect against lower-extremity injuries
• Three-point safety belts in all five seating positions, safety belt retractor pretensioners and lap pretensioners in the driver and front-passenger positions, and safety belt load limiters (with pretensioners) in the front safety belt retractors
• LATCH child seat latching system in the rear seat
• Tire pressure monitoring system
• Daytime running lamps
• Automatic headlamps.