2017 BMW 5 Series vs 2017 Mercedes-Benz E-Class
BMW Press Release Highlights
PowertrainThe petrol units employ TwinScroll turbocharging, High Precision Injection, Double-VANOS variable camshaft control and Valvetronic fully variable valve timing. The diesel models, meanwhile, feature a turbocharger with variable turbine geometry and latest-generation common-rail direct injection. The new two-litre four-cylinder in-line turbocharged direct injection engine in the BMW 530i delivers its peak output of 185 kW/252 hp (up 5 kW/7 hp on its predecessor). Average fuel consumption works out at 5.4 l/100 km (52.3 mpg imp). The BMW 530i sprints from 0 to 100 km/h (62 mph) in 6.2 seconds and reaches a top speed of 250 km/h (155 mph).
The new BMW 540i and generates 250 kW/340 hp (+25 kW/34 hp). The three-litre straight-six musters up a mighty 450 Nm / 332 lb ft of torque (+50 Nm/37 lb-ft). Average consumption is a frugal 6.5 l/100 km (43.5 mpg imp). The sedan powers from 0 to 100 km/h (62 mph) in just 5.1 seconds and top speed is electronically limited to 250 km/h (155 mph). The all-wheel-drive BMW 540i xDrive sets a new class-beating time of 4.8 seconds for the sprint from 0 to 100 km/h (62 mph). Its fuel consumption is 6.7 l/100 km (42.2 mpg imp). A plug-in hybrid BMW 530e iPerformance generating overall output of 185 kW/252 hp and fuel consumption of 2.0 l/100 km (141.2 mpg imp) sets new standards. The BMW 530e iPerformance has an electric range of 45 kilometres (28 miles). The BMW M550i xDrive, whose V8 engine with an output of 340 kW/462 hp and maximum torque of 650 Nm (479 lb-ft) races from 0 to 100 km/h (62 mph) in 4.0 seconds with efficiency (fuel consumption combined: 8.9 l/100 km [31.7 mpg imp]. All the engines available at launch can link up with BMW xDrive intelligent all-wheel drive.
ChassisThe new double-wishbone front axle's kinematics are perfectly configured for a long-distance sedan. Light-metal components are also used extensively in the new five-link rear suspension, which is even lighter and stiffer than in the previous model and provides precise wheel location and excellent tracking stability in all driving situations. The electromechanical steering system features a variable steering ratio and speed-sensitive power assistance. The new BMW 5-Series is fitted with either single-piece or two-piece four-piston fixed aluminium callipers at the front, with lightweight discs, and single-piston fixed callipers. The optional Adaptive Drive system, which combines Dynamic Damper Control with Dynamic Drive active roll stabilisation, provides unsurpassed dynamics and comfort.
TechnologyThe new BMW 5-Series Sedan boasts an innovative technology first premiered in 2015 in the new BMW 7-Series: Remote Control Parking. This feature enables drivers to use parking spaces that are narrow enough to make getting out of the car very awkward. All acceleration and braking actions are monitored and controlled by the Park Distance Control (PDC), the Parking Assistant and the Surround View sensors, while the engine can be started and switched off by remote control.
Surround View and Remote 3D View shows a bird's-eye view of the driver's car as well as a three-dimensional image of the traffic situation. With the Remote 3D View technology, these three-dimensional views of the vehicle's surrounding area can also be beamed to the owner's smartphone with the help of BMW Connected.
The optional Display Key offers a host of other functions as well. The smart key includes a colour display with touch control, which provides information on the most important vehicle parameters. The options list also includes a WiFi hotspot offering a high-speed internet connection (LTE) for up to ten mobile devices. Apple CarPlay is available in the BMW 5-Series Sedan too. The latest generation of the Navigation system Professional boasts quicker start-up, even faster route calculation and more realistic 3D graphics in cities.
SafetyThe new BMW 5-Series features a large number of automated functions for a vehicle in this segment. Dynamic Cruise Control (DCC) is standard on the BMW 5-Series Sedan. The optional Active Cruise Control (ACC) uses radar to adjust the pre-selected speed to the traffic situation. If vehicles which are part of the inter-connected BMW fleet detect a hazard, information is immediately relayed to the BMW backend.
The optional Driving Assist Plus safety package for the new BMW 5-Series Sedan comes with a host of new functions. These include the Lane Keeping Assistant, Lane Departure Warning, Lane Change Warning, and Side Collision Warning. Another new function contained in the Driving Assist Plus package is the evasion aid. Safety is enhanced by the standard-fitted Dynamic Stability Control (DSC). Another system that provides an early foretaste of automated driving is the Steering and lane control assistant. Drivers can now take their hands off the wheel much more often than in the past. The pre-crash accident detection system Active Protection further enhances passive safety in the new BMW 5-Series by detecting potential accident situations as they arise.
Mercedes-Benz Press Release Highlights
Powertrain• Turbocharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder gasoline engine with 241 hp and 273 lb-ft of torque.
• Further model variants will be added to the range after the market launch.
• New 9G-TRONIC nine-speed automatic transmission as standard equipment.
Chassis• Steel-spring suspension is standard.
• Two DIRECT CONTROL suspension systems with selective damping are available in conjunction with this suspension: DIRECT CONTROL Comfort suspension; DIRECT CONTROL Sport suspension
• AIR BODY CONTROL air suspension - multi-chamber air suspension at all corners. Features all-round self-leveling for excellent ride comfort even with the vehicle loaded. It automatically controls the ride height depending on the speed and reduces fuel consumption on the freeway, for example, by lowering the vehicle. When driving on rough roads, ground clearance can be increased at the push of a button.
• A DYNAMIC SELECT switch in the cockpit enables the driver to select from four AIR BODY CONTROL modes: "Comfort," "ECO," "Sport" and "Sport+."
Technology• Remote Parking Pilot - allows the vehicle to be moved into and out of garages and parking spaces remotely using a smartphone app.
• Car-to-X communication - mobile phone-supported exchange of information with other vehicles further ahead on the road. Can effectively allow the driver to "see around corners" or "through obstacles" well in advance.
• Standard Frontbass system - delivers a unique listening experience, utilizing space in the cross-member and side member of the body structure as a resonance chamber for the bass speakers.
• Optionally available Burmester high-end 3D surround sound system with 23 speakers. It includes a third dimension of sound courtesy of roof speakers.
Safety• Standard PRE-SAFE® Sound - emits a short interference signal through the vehicle's sound system if the risk of a collision is detected. This signal can trigger the natural reflex and thus prepare the occupants' ears for the expected sound of the accident.
• Standard Active Brake Assist - able to warn the driver of impending crash situations, provide just the right level of support during emergency braking and, if necessary, also apply the brakes automatically. In addition to slower-moving, stopping or stationary vehicles, it can also detect pedestrians crossing within the area ahead of the vehicle.
• Standard ATTENTION ASSIST - can warn the driver of inattentiveness and drowsiness
• Crosswind Assist - can assist the driver by substantially mitigating the effects of strong crosswinds to prevent the vehicle from drifting too far off track.
Optional Driver Assistance Package Plus includes:
• DRIVE PILOT
• Distance Pilot DISTRONIC - able to automatically maintain the selected distance from the vehicle in front. Can also follow the traffic in front at speeds of up to 130 mph.
• Steering Pilot – steering assistance even on moderate bends. Can continue to actively intervene by taking account of surrounding vehicles and parallel structures, even if the lines are unclear or nonexistent at speeds up to 81 mph.
• Active Lane- change Assist - assists the driver when changing lanes on multi-lane roads and can steer the vehicle into the lane selected by the driver. Once the driver has indicated a turn for at least two seconds, Active Lane-change Assist assists with steering into the adjacent lane if it detects that the lane is unoccupied.
• Active Brake Assist with cross-traffic function - can detect crossing traffic at junctions and, if the driver fails to respond, apply the brakes autonomously. Can also detect hazardous situations at the tail end of a traffic jam where there is no room to maneuver and initiate autonomous braking well in advance. Consequently, it is possible to completely avoid accidents at speeds up to 43 mph or substantially reduce the severity of accidents at speeds above this level.
• Evasive Steering Assist - can assist by adding precisely calculated steering torque to support the movement of the steering wheel.
• Active Lane Keeping Assist - can help stop the driver from unintentionally changing lanes
• Active Blind Spot Assist - can now also warn of the risk of a lateral collision in typical urban traffic at low speeds.
• PRE-SAFE® PLUS can also protect against collisions with traffic following behind, reducing whiplash and other adverse effects on the occupants.
• PRE-SAFE® impulse side - if a lateral collision has been detected and is imminent, it preventively moves the driver or front passenger away from the danger zone to the side.