2017 BMW 5 Series vs 2017 Cadillac CTS
BMW Press Release Highlights
PowertrainThe petrol units employ TwinScroll turbocharging, High Precision Injection, Double-VANOS variable camshaft control and Valvetronic fully variable valve timing. The diesel models, meanwhile, feature a turbocharger with variable turbine geometry and latest-generation common-rail direct injection. The new two-litre four-cylinder in-line turbocharged direct injection engine in the BMW 530i delivers its peak output of 185 kW/252 hp (up 5 kW/7 hp on its predecessor). Average fuel consumption works out at 5.4 l/100 km (52.3 mpg imp). The BMW 530i sprints from 0 to 100 km/h (62 mph) in 6.2 seconds and reaches a top speed of 250 km/h (155 mph).
The new BMW 540i and generates 250 kW/340 hp (+25 kW/34 hp). The three-litre straight-six musters up a mighty 450 Nm / 332 lb ft of torque (+50 Nm/37 lb-ft). Average consumption is a frugal 6.5 l/100 km (43.5 mpg imp). The sedan powers from 0 to 100 km/h (62 mph) in just 5.1 seconds and top speed is electronically limited to 250 km/h (155 mph). The all-wheel-drive BMW 540i xDrive sets a new class-beating time of 4.8 seconds for the sprint from 0 to 100 km/h (62 mph). Its fuel consumption is 6.7 l/100 km (42.2 mpg imp). A plug-in hybrid BMW 530e iPerformance generating overall output of 185 kW/252 hp and fuel consumption of 2.0 l/100 km (141.2 mpg imp) sets new standards. The BMW 530e iPerformance has an electric range of 45 kilometres (28 miles). The BMW M550i xDrive, whose V8 engine with an output of 340 kW/462 hp and maximum torque of 650 Nm (479 lb-ft) races from 0 to 100 km/h (62 mph) in 4.0 seconds with efficiency (fuel consumption combined: 8.9 l/100 km [31.7 mpg imp]. All the engines available at launch can link up with BMW xDrive intelligent all-wheel drive.
ChassisThe new double-wishbone front axle's kinematics are perfectly configured for a long-distance sedan. Light-metal components are also used extensively in the new five-link rear suspension, which is even lighter and stiffer than in the previous model and provides precise wheel location and excellent tracking stability in all driving situations. The electromechanical steering system features a variable steering ratio and speed-sensitive power assistance. The new BMW 5-Series is fitted with either single-piece or two-piece four-piston fixed aluminium callipers at the front, with lightweight discs, and single-piston fixed callipers. The optional Adaptive Drive system, which combines Dynamic Damper Control with Dynamic Drive active roll stabilisation, provides unsurpassed dynamics and comfort.
TechnologyThe new BMW 5-Series Sedan boasts an innovative technology first premiered in 2015 in the new BMW 7-Series: Remote Control Parking. This feature enables drivers to use parking spaces that are narrow enough to make getting out of the car very awkward. All acceleration and braking actions are monitored and controlled by the Park Distance Control (PDC), the Parking Assistant and the Surround View sensors, while the engine can be started and switched off by remote control.
Surround View and Remote 3D View shows a bird's-eye view of the driver's car as well as a three-dimensional image of the traffic situation. With the Remote 3D View technology, these three-dimensional views of the vehicle's surrounding area can also be beamed to the owner's smartphone with the help of BMW Connected.
The optional Display Key offers a host of other functions as well. The smart key includes a colour display with touch control, which provides information on the most important vehicle parameters. The options list also includes a WiFi hotspot offering a high-speed internet connection (LTE) for up to ten mobile devices. Apple CarPlay is available in the BMW 5-Series Sedan too. The latest generation of the Navigation system Professional boasts quicker start-up, even faster route calculation and more realistic 3D graphics in cities.
SafetyThe new BMW 5-Series features a large number of automated functions for a vehicle in this segment. Dynamic Cruise Control (DCC) is standard on the BMW 5-Series Sedan. The optional Active Cruise Control (ACC) uses radar to adjust the pre-selected speed to the traffic situation. If vehicles which are part of the inter-connected BMW fleet detect a hazard, information is immediately relayed to the BMW backend.
The optional Driving Assist Plus safety package for the new BMW 5-Series Sedan comes with a host of new functions. These include the Lane Keeping Assistant, Lane Departure Warning, Lane Change Warning, and Side Collision Warning. Another new function contained in the Driving Assist Plus package is the evasion aid. Safety is enhanced by the standard-fitted Dynamic Stability Control (DSC). Another system that provides an early foretaste of automated driving is the Steering and lane control assistant. Drivers can now take their hands off the wheel much more often than in the past. The pre-crash accident detection system Active Protection further enhances passive safety in the new BMW 5-Series by detecting potential accident situations as they arise.
Cadillac Press Release Highlights
Powertrain• CTS Vsport - Twin-Turbo is SAE-certified at 420 horsepower (313 kW) and 430 lb.-ft. of torque (583 Nm)
• Approximately 90 percent of peak torque available from 2,500rpm to 5,500 rpm
• 0-60 mph in an estimated 4.6 seconds
• Naturally aspirated 3.6L V-6 rated at an estimated 321 horsepower
• New paddle-shift eight-speed automatic in rear-wheel-drive models
• Six-speed automatic with all-wheel drive
• 2.0L turbocharged engine rated at an estimated 272 horsepower and paired with a six-speed automatic.
Chassis• Lower curb weight than the preceding model and weighs about 200 pounds (90 kg) less than the BMW 528i.
• Nearly 50/50 weight balance
• Magnetic Ride Control - Cadillac's real-time damping system, is available on base models.
• The CTS Vsport features:
o A quicker steering ratio
o Brembo disc brakes with aluminum calipers and high-performance brake pads,
o Heavy-duty track cooling package
o Driver-selectable track mode with specific steering rate and Magnetic Ride Control calibrations for greater track performance
o Electronic limited-slip differential that enhances capability on the track - including optimal acceleration out of turns.
• Suspension and driver control highlights also include:
o Multi-link MacPherson strut suspension with a double-pivot design
o Five-link independent rear suspension
o Available all-wheel-drive
o Premium electric, variable-assist power steering gear from ZF Steering Systems
o Available Magnetic Ride Control real-time damping system
o Choice of 17-, 18- and 19-inch aluminum wheels.
• A number of aluminum components are used with the suspension system, while the rear suspension is mostly steel.
Technology• CUE, Cadillac's infotainment system - uses smartphone-influenced controls and commands to access information and entertainment data.
• Eight-inch, high-resolution color touch screen with haptic feedback allows users to swipe and drag preferences.
• Available 12.3-inch high-resolution, configurable LCD instrument cluster display complements the CUE display and supports the active safety features.
• Bluetooth connectivity with natural voice recognition is standard with CUE, along with USB and SD card ports.
• Cadillac's first 20-way adjustable front seats
• Motorized cup holder lid in the center console
• Heated and cooled (ventilated) front seats and heated steering wheel
• Electronically locking glove box
• Electronic park brake
• Adaptive remote start feature that also activates the climate control system
• Standard Bose eleven-speaker sound system and available Bose Centerpoint Surround Sound system with 13 speakers.
• Automatic Parking Assist - enables the car to park itself in parallel spaces.
• Ultrasonic rear park assist is standard.
• OnStar is standard for one year - can automatically call for help in the event of a crash. OnStar service also includes myCadillac and OnStar myCadillac mobile apps.
Safety• Active safety features provide alerts and intervene when necessary to help avoid crashes.
• Ultrasonic sensors, as well as radar and cameras, support the CTS's advanced safety features to help prevent crashes.
• Front and Rear Automatic Braking - helps the driver prevent front and rear low-speed collisions via a progression of alerts that extend to complete braking, if necessary.
• Safety Alert Seat technology - uses vibrating pulses in the driver's seat to alert the driver to an imminent collision or to vehicles in the car's blind spot.
• Automatic safety belt tightening - automatically takes slack out of the safety belts when buckled and offers real-time, active adjustments during driving to ensure optimal tension and comfort.
• Full Speed Range Adaptive Cruise Control
• Panic Brake Assist
• Forward Collision Alert
• Automatic Collision Preparation (with brake prefill)
• Lane Departure Warning
• Side Blind Zone Alert
• Rear Cross Traffic Alert
• Rear Vision Camera With Dynamic Guidelines
• Adaptive Forward Lighting
• Active pedestrian protection system (in global regions where required).
• 10 standard air bags, including front-passenger dual-stage low-risk deployment.