2017 Toyota RAV4 vs 2017 Ford Escape
Toyota Press Release Highlights
The RAV4 family also gains a new luxurious Platinum grade to its gas-powered variant, while its hybrid-powered model welcomes a sportier SE grade. A redesigned front bumper cover gives the SE – gas and hybrid – a more rugged look. The 2017 RAV4 now comes in five grades: LE, XLE, SE, Limited, and Platinum. The RAV4 Hybrid can be had in three grades: XLE, SE, and Limited.
Choose a 2017 RAV4 Hybrid and drivers will enjoy powerful and quick acceleration. The all-weather capability is there, too, as all Hybrid grades come equipped with an Electronic On-Demand All-Wheel-Drive System with intelligence (AWD-i) as standard. A second, independent electric motor drives the rear wheels when needed to help maintain optimal traction.
PowertrainToyota Hybrid Synergy Drive has long been the platinum standard for seamless hybrid performance, high efficiency, and exemplary dependability. Drivers love the way it works, because they cannot feel it working, and that’s the point. The 2017 RAV4 Hybrid combines output from a 2.5-liter Atkinson-cycle four-cylinder engine and a small high-torque electric motor through its unique transaxle. The RAV4 Hybrid delivers a jolt of performance from a combined 194 system horsepower. The versatile RAV4 Hybrid will zoom from zero to 60 mph in 8.1 seconds. The 2017 RAV4 Hybrid achieves an EPA-estimated 34 mpg city/30 mpg highway/32 mpg combined.
Non-hybrid RAV4 grades are powered by a punchy 176-horsepower dual-overhead cam 2.5-liter four-cylinder engine with dual VVT-i (Dual Variable Valve Timing with intelligence) and six-speed automatic transmission. The combination yields EPA fuel economy estimates of 23 mpg city/30 mpg highway/26 mpg combined (LE and XLE); 23 mpg city/29 mpg highway/25 mpg combined (SE, Limited, and Platinum).
With standard front-drive, the RAV4 gas model has a special traction helper called Automatic Limited Slip Differential (Auto LSD). Essentially a second layer of computer logic in the Traction Control system, Auto LSD can be engaged at speeds below 25 mph to provide the function of a mechanical limited-slip differential. For maximum traction capability in all conditions, the RAV4 gas models offer the sophisticated Dynamic Torque Control AWD system. Taking input from various sensors (vehicle speed, steering speed and angle, throttle angle and yaw rate), Dynamic Torque Control continuously monitors and actively governs torque distribution to the rear wheels, as needed, via an electromagnetically controlled coupling positioned in the rear differential. Front to rear torque distribution can vary from 100:0 to 50:50, with front-wheel drive automatically engaged under normal driving conditions to help reduce fuel consumption.
ChassisA body structure that makes extensive use of high-strength steel provides a robust and stiff, yet light, platform and is the foundation for the RAV4’s smooth ride, handling agility, and cabin quietness. The rear suspension member counts on spots welds and robust support mounts to help enhance rigidity and reduce vibration transfer into passengers’ space. The MacPherson strut front suspension and double-wishbone rear suspension allow the RAV4 to absorb bumps, ruts, and railroad crossings with composure. A strut tower bar links the tops of the front strut towers to the main bulkhead, helping to increase torsional rigidity. Front and rear shock absorbers and coils help enhance control and increase comfort. The SE grades receive unique sport-tuned shock absorbers and coils for enhanced sport driving composure.
TechnologyThe 2017 RAV4 plays your music your way through one of four available Entune audio systems. The LE’s Entune Audio includes the Entune Multimedia Bundle comprised of 6.1-inch touch-screen display, AM/FM CD player, MP3/WMA playback capability, 6 speakers, auxiliary audio jack, USB 2.0 port with iPod connectivity and control, advanced voice recognition, hands-free phone capability, phone book access, and music streaming via Bluetooth wireless technology with integrated backup camera display. Standard on the XLE and SE grades, Entune Audio Plus with Connected Navigation adds high-resolution and the Customizable Home Screen feature to the 6.1-inch touch screen and also includes HD Radio with iTunes tagging, SiriusXM satellite and Traffic/Weather. The Connected Navigation via Scout GPS Link app is standard with this upgraded system and includes cell-phone driven navigation, voice activated search, traffic-based commute information, and more. In the RAV4 Limited (and optional for the XLE grade), Entune Premium Audio adds a 7.0-inch high resolution touchscreen with Customizable Home Screen, Integrated Navigation and the subscription-free Entune App Suite.
SafetyThe 2017 RAV4 is equipped with the Star Safety System™ that includes: Traction Control (TRAC), Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD), Enhanced Vehicle Stability Control (VSC), Brake Assist (BA), Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) and Smart Stop Technology (SST). Eight standard airbags include dual stage advanced driver and front passenger airbags; front seat-mounted side airbags; first and second row side curtain airbags; driver’s knee airbag and a front passenger seat cushion airbag. Whiplash Injury Lessening (WIL) front seats are designed to help support the driver’s and front passenger’s heads during certain types of rear-end collisions.
The standard Toyota Safety Sense P (TSS-P) driver assist system bundles cutting edge active safety technologies including Pre-Collision with Pedestrian Detection function (PCS w/PD) featuring forward collision warning and Automatic Emergency Braking, Lane Departure Alert with Steering Assist function (LDA w/SA), Automatic High Beams (AHB), and Dynamic Radar Cruise Control (DRCC).
Ford Press Release Highlights
PowertrainEscape is the first Ford vehicle to make Auto Start-Stop standard with either of two EcoBoost engines new to the model - a 1.5-liter and 2.0-liter twin-scroll. The technology senses when the vehicle is sitting idle and shuts off the engine to conserve fuel, resulting in a 4 percent to 6 percent improvement in fuel economy in stop-and-go traffic. The engine restarts automatically - in less than half a second - when the driver releases the brake pedal.
• Escape SE and Titanium trim levels come standard with the new 1.5-liter four-cylinder EcoBoost, while the powerful new twin-scroll 2.0-liter EcoBoost is optional. A six-speed automatic transmission is standard across the line, with new paddle-shift technology available for Escape SE and Titanium.
• The twin-scroll turbocharged 2.0-liter EcoBoost delivers 245 horsepower and 275 lb.-ft. of torque, along with greater efficiency and improved noise, vibration and harshness performance. New pistons provide a higher, more efficient compression ratio, and a newly designed, integrated exhaust manifold is optimized for the twin-scroll turbo system.
• The aluminum-block, twin-cam 1.5-liter EcoBoost with integrated exhaust manifold is projected to deliver horsepower and torque output comparable to the 1.6-liter - an expected 180 horsepower and 185 lb.-ft. of torque.
• Along with the new EcoBoost offerings, the 2.5-liter i-VCT four-cylinder engine carries over as standard equipment for the Escape S series.
ChassisThe Escape can seat up to five. And its versatility lets you convert rear seat room to extra space — up to a maximum 68 cu. ft. — when transporting cargo takes priority. Fold both rear seat backs for a flat load surface and 68 cu. ft. of total cargo space. Or fold down either of the 60/40 split rear seat backs for more cargo space and still carry one or two rear passengers. If you’re carrying items such as luggage, leave both seat backs up and you have 34 cu. ft. of cargo space. On Escape models with 17-inch wheels, the load floor is adjustable: high position for a flat load floor and easy loading with the seats folded; low position for additional cargo room.
TechnologySYNC Connect, available with SYNC® 3 for the new Escape, comes with complimentary activation for five years. A user enables the system through a two-step authentication process designed to protect personal information. SYNC 3 features faster performance, conversational voice recognition, intuitive smartphone-like touch screen and easier-to-understand graphical interface. With SYNC Connect, owners can remotely start their vehicle and schedule future starts, as well as lock and unlock their Escape using their smartphones. The technology provides vehicle location, as well as key vehicle information such as tire pressures, battery and fuel levels.
Other driver-assist features available help make the daily commute safer and easier for drivers of the new Ford Escape:
• Adaptive cruise control and forward collision warning with brake support: Sensors detect when Escape is approaching a slow-moving vehicle, and adjust cruise control accordingly
• Enhanced active park assist: Provides steering assistance to park the vehicle in a parallel or reverse perpendicular parking spot, and pull out from tight parallel parking spots; driver controls brake, accelerator and shifter. Technology includes side park distance control
• Lane-keeping system: The system includes lane-keeping alert, which alerts drivers when they drift unintentionally from their lane, and lane-keeping aid, which provides steering assistance to guide an unintentionally drifting vehicle back into its lane
• Driver Alert System: Using data from the lane-keeping system, the Driver Alert System can detect signs of fatigued driving and provide a warning on the instrument cluster
Already available driver-assist features for the new Escape include:
• Blind Spot Information System with cross-traffic alert: BLIS® can alert drivers when a vehicle enters the defined blind spot in a neighboring lane. An indicator light provides a warning in the side mirror corresponding to the side on which the vehicle is approaching
• Hill-start assist: The feature holds the vehicle stationary on a hill long enough for the driver to transition from brake to gas pedal
• Auto high-beam control: System automatically switches from high to low beams, and vice versa, depending on ambient lighting
• Hands-free, foot-activated liftgate: Opens liftgate with the simple kick of a key fob-carrying customer's foot beneath rear bumper - perfect for those whose hands are loaded with gear